Share Our Forum With Your Friends!
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Melissa

How do I get a diagnosis for my child?

Question

Guest Melissa

Hi, our school told us they were going to do the diagnosis for autism or some assessment but nothing has happened. They keep telling us its in hand but they are so slow. 

Can anyone give advice around how to best get a diagnosis please? 

Report PostReport post

2 answers to this question

Hi Melissa,

Sorry to hear about the slow process for you. I am not sure if it is just crossed wires or miss information as schools can not do a diagnosis. 

An autism diagnosis for a child should be a multi disciplinary diagnosis with several professionals all macking their own assessments and then all coming together to make a decision. The school will be part of this but they can not alone make a diagnosis. 

The best thing to do is go to your GP. When you go make sure you take a list of things you have observed like behaviours of concern and other issues. When you visit the GP ensure you are clear and concise as to why you are there, which is to seek a referral for an autism assessment. The GP should then make a referral, and you will then keep content with the diagnostic team. 

I hope this helps. 👍

Report PostReport post

[[Template core/front/global/guestCommentTeaser is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.