Sign in to follow this  

Siblings get stressed too..!

Hey everyone,

If you are a sibling, as I am, to somebody on the Autistic Spectrum and you are stressed with his/her behaviour or anything is stressing you out, I want to let you know that you are not alone! Not only do things get so bad for me I just explode into tears, I sometimes feel such anger towards my brother. However, this is only at the time I am upset. I'm sure any teenagers who have an Autistic brother or sister have had their lives changed and not been able to do some things you'd like to. But your experiences and your new knowledge have made you a better person, as it has for me!

So if there is anything you just want to get off your chest, post it here and I'm sure we'll all do our best to help out. Sometimes it is nice to just talk to somebody you don't know, but knows what you're going through!

Afterall, siblings get stressed too!

Anthony xxx

Hi Anthony.

I've got a little brother who has Autism and it sounds really bad at the moment. The thing I find difficult is that I don't live at home anymore, I live about 90 miles from my mum and dad and they don't let me go visit (that isn't due to my brother, just that my mum is fretting about having a messy house all the time). This means that I can't help out. I ask my parents if they want me to do anything for them but they just say they're happy one of their children is able to live life normally.

My brother is 20 and manages to hold down a job and therefore I think my parents feel they don't get much help from the state as he's no longer a child and isn't severe enough to get proper care or advise. I've tried to get some material together to help them but all they see is support groups which they don't want to take part in.

Do you still live at home? Do you find it difficult to help the folks? Any tips?

Hi, Katie.

I sent you a private message.

Hi Johnlee,

Yes, Yoga is a good way of beating the stress. I personally find walking takes my stress away. If I am getting stressed with my brother I go out for long, long walks for hours and it is a great de-stressor. However, I get home and feel terrible that I was a coward and just left my mum to deal with the situation!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this